Chapter 17 - The Road Ahead
If you don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else.
Now that you've had a close look at WTP 1.5, you're probably wondering what's coming in the next release. The answer to that question depends on many factors, such as where the industry is heading, what the user community is asking for, and the level of resources that WTP contributors are prepared to make available to do the work. As Yogi says, "It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." It's even tougher to make predictions about the future of software. Nevertheless, we'll review the currently published plans and make some inferences about what you're likely to see in WTP 2.0. Of course, the WTP Web site is the ultimate authority on what is committed for the 2.0 release.
The WTP PMC decided to name the next major release 2.0. Why not simply up the number to 1.6 to indicate that it is fully compatible with WTP 1.5? WTP 2.0 will certainly preserve all the APIs published in the 1.0 and 1.5 releases; however, it will also include some major new function. A larger release number increment was therefore appropriate.
The choice of 2.0 also resonates with the so-called Web 2.0 platform, which includes the next wave of Web technologies such as AJAX and the new Web service standards. These include SOAP 1.2, WSDL 2.0, and Apache Axis2. The project goal is to make WTP 2.0 the preferred tool set for developing Web 2.0 applications.
The following list is based on the best information available at the time of writing about what will appear in WTP 2.0. For the most current information, consult the Web Tools Platform 2.0 Plan Wiki at
Each of these items will be discussed in more detail below:
- Migration to the Eclipse Data Tools Platform Project
- Maturation of the Eclipse JavaServer Faces Tools Incubator Project
- Maturation of the Eclipse Dali JPA Tools Incubator Project
- Maturation of the Eclipse AJAX Tools Framework Incubator Project
- Support for Java Enterprise Edition 5
- Support for Apache Axis2 and W3C WSDL 2.0
- Integration with the Eclipse PHP Tools Project
- Integration with the Eclipse SOA Tools Platform Project
Other Sections in This Chapter
- Eclipse Data Tools Platform (DTP) Project
- Eclipse JavaServer Faces (JSF) Tools Project
- Eclipse Dali Java Persistence Architecture (JPA) Tools Project
- Eclipse AJAX Tools Framework (ATF) Project
- Java Enterprise Edition 5
- Apache Axis2 and W3C WSDL 2.0
- Eclipse PHP Development Tools Project
- Eclipse SOA Tools Platform (STP) Project